Thursday, October 02, 2008

Southwest black bean and corn salad.

I originally posted this over on portlandiaquill, and I'm pretty excited about it. It's the first recipe that I've wholly created on my own that I've put down into firm, scary type.

We've made it twice now, and Charlie and I are so excited about it. After it's first spin as a main course one night for dinner, we tested it out on Devon when she came to visit last weekend, and it was fantastic then too.

I hope you try it out and adore it. From my heart to yours!

The "I just moved to Idaho" Southwest black bean and corn salad:


2 cobs of fresh, sweet corn (not frozen corn, it just doesn't cut it)
1 can black beans
1/2 C diced tomatoes
Chipotle chile powder, blended chilies in adobro sauce, or a chipotle sauce of some sort
1/4 C of your favorite salsa (I had Mrs. Renfro's mild salsa on hand, you could use fresh tomatoes instead if you wanted, I suppose--it's kind of used as a sauce or "dressing")
about 1/2- 1/3 C minced yellow onion (use red onion if yellow is too strong, and you add more or less depending on personal tastes)
1/4-1/3 C mined cilantro (again, adjust to your personal taste)
1 diced medium red bell pepper
1 diced medium avocado
Juice from 1/2 a large lime

Boil corn on cob for just the briefest amount of time--enough to slightly heat through, but not so much as it loses its CRUNCH. Remove corn from heat and let cool.

Meanwhile, heat beans in saucepan over medium heat with diced tomatoes, chipotle, and a little salt and pepper to taste. Add Chipotle according to your heat preference. ALTERNATIVE: we made this last weekend without the diced tomatoes, and it was awesome, too.

When beans are warmed, and flavors are all mixy and tasty, remove from heat. Don't let your beans get mooshy from overcooking.

Cut corn kernels from cobs.

Combine all ingredients except lime in large mixing bowl. Squeeze lime over the top. Refrigerate to cool, or serve warm.

We ate this with cornbread and a simple green salad, and it was AMAZING.

No comments: