Monday, October 27, 2008

Herb and cream cheese dinner biscuits

So I developed this recipe from one that I made ages ago from the Simply Recipes site. Hers is a Chive and Goat Cheese scone, mine is more of a amalgamation of what I had in my house, but it was even better this time than the first time! There's a discussion on her site as to whether they are scones or biscuits, but I choose to label mine biscuits.

These would be fantastic with a roasted red pepper soup, or chicken noodle, or something like that.

This recipe is a smaller version of the Simply Recipes scones--more appropriate for two people than four. Feel free to double, though.

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour (you could try making it with half wheat flour for something heartier)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper (or more, to taste)
1/4 STICK butter (1/8 of a cup), cut in small cubes
1/2- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (use what you like here, I made mine with chives, thyme, parsley, and tarragon because that's what I had and what sounded good, but feel free to use basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, etc.)
2 oz cream cheese (I bought the kind in a box--when you open it, it has scoring lines on the foil. I'm thinking it was like 1/3 - 1/2 a cup)
1/2 cup heavy cream, diluted with a little milk (so, I took my half-cup measure, filled it 2/3 full with cream, and the rest with milk)

Heat oven to 400.

Mix all your dry ingredients together. Add your herbs. mix the butter in, incorporating with your hands until it's a grainy floury mix. You can also throw it in the food processor and blend until this point. Mix in chunks of cream cheese, but do not wholly incorporate, mix until mostly blended but chunks still appear. Dough will be sticky! I love to blob down big rounds onto a greased cookie sheet or silpat. Cook until starting to brown around edges, about 15-20 minutes.

DEVOUR!

No comments: