Thursday, May 10, 2007

The First Rose Appears

Our house becomes welcoming as spring arrives. Sun lingers on the front porch and flowers appear from the dark corners of the yard. Pictured: the first rose growing along the perimeter of the yard, and iris growing near the car park. Also, beautiful columbine in a deep purple that Ariel planted near the front of the house.

I feel like even the soil is more receptive to my ideas! (I do realize that this can be easily explained by the fact that the ground no longer freezes and various other changes occur in the spring that make the earth more conductive towards growth.) Various seeds that I planted last week are starting to sprout. The lettuce is beginning to shyly appear in thin lines. I scattered wild flower seeds in a pot in the front of the house and under my bedroom window. The flowers are just beginning to break the soil, but I’m highly suspicious that the sunflower seeds have all been dug out by one our resident squirrels. A note here: I found a wild flower mix that’s packing implied it was geared towards attention challenged children. Perfect.

Growth is so damned challenging in most aspects of life. I would like to grow into a more patient and wise person. I would like my position at work to grow into a career. I would like to grow into the kind of person who eats all of the green stuff in the fridge before it spoils. Being able to directly encourage growth in a plant is very gratifying.

No comments: